About Jessica Schanaman CBD (CBI)
My name is Jessica Schanaman CBD (CBI) and I am a certified birth doula for the Billings, MT area. I have a passion for supporting mothers and their partners during childbirth. I believe the way a woman is treated during childbirth has a lasting impact on how she grows as a mother. All women deserve to begin the journey to motherhood with a positive, empowering experience.
I have experience, training
I am certified through Childbirth International as a labor doula. I have been attending births for about five years and have experience supporting families through many circumstances. I have an Associates of Science degree from MSU-Billings. Also, being a Certified Nurse Assistant gives me the added benefit of knowing the ins and outs of the medical scene.
I am networked with and
know our community
I grew up, born and raised in the beautiful Big Sky state. I love enjoying nature, whether it be walking into the peaceful woods or hiking in the majestic mountains. I value networking and working with the people who work with the birth community. Giving you and your family the options available to you.
I am unique and flexible
I provide birth doula services, childbirth preparation, birth plan assistance, and amateur lifestyle photography. I also have a few different doula packages to choose from if you are looking for something specific. As well as detailed birth plan assistance. For a detailed list of my services, please go to my services page. I offer payment plans and discounts. Discounts include military and adoption. For ease of scheduling, I offer online scheduling for consultation, prenatal, postpartum visits and more. I am a nerd and proud of showing it. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are my favorite movies! I am an openly Christian, Pro-Life doula.
I believe in teamwork
Doulas are a wonderful and important part of YOUR birth team. I work together with your birth partner, your care provider, and most importantly, you. I value the professional relationships I make with hospital staff, care providers and the many other people who work in our birth community.
I am reliable
Since I am born and raised in the area, I have a long list at the ready for my childcare so I am able to join you during your labor when you need me. So you are able to feel comfortable and secure in knowing that I am here for you. I also never over book myself. I value quality over quantity. Limiting the number of families I serve each month provides me the ability to always be ready to join you for your upcoming labor and birth.
I support you
I offer evidence based, non-biased support for you and your birth journey. I strive to give you the tools and support needed to make your own decisions that are right for you and your family. I know your birth is YOUR birth, not anyone else's. My goal is for you to feel confident in YOUR ability to achieve the birth you desire, with the support you deserve.
CORE VALUES AND VISION
I believe that the quality and experience of birth and early postpartum have widespread importance for individuals, families, and society as a whole. This important time of transition creates a different opportunity for growth and transformation from woman to mother and couple to family.
Pregnancy and Birth as Normal Life Events
I support the Ten Steps of the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative that was developed by the national Coalition to Improve Maternity Services (CIMS). This initiative encourages the Midwifery Model of Care and breastfeeding as optimal for mothers and babies. http://www.motherfriendly.org
I provide support and education so that mothers who want to breastfeed will have the opportunity to have a successful, happy experience. That breastfeeding should continue until baby has outgrown the need. I support and believe in the La Leche League's philosophy statements. http://www.llli.org/philosophy.html?m=1,0,1 And I encourage all mothers to consider breastfeeding and support the Ten Steps to a Successful Breastfeeding of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative that was developed by WHO-UNICEF. http://www.tensteps.org
Education and Support
I provide evidence-based information that encourages decision-making, preventive action, holistic approaches and an attitude of personal responsibility toward family health.
Social and Emotional Support
I believe that families benefit from the care and support that doulas provide during pregnancy, labor and birth, and the postpartum period. I am faithful to making myself available to all families. I believe that when mothers are nurtured, they become better nurturers.
I believe in the development of a supportive community of childbearing families and professionals who serve them and provide them a space for this community to thrive.
I believe that the child's father (if in the woman's and child's life) is an equal and important part of the pregnancy, birth, and postpartum period. I strive to include the father in the process by supporting them to minimize any anxiety, so they feel involved/engaged with the pregnancy, birth, and postpartum process to the extent that is mutually comfortable.
I believe that every woman and family should have the support of a doula. That they are an invaluable resource that should not be hindered by finances. Financial options need to be made available to all.
MY BIRTH PHILOSOPHY
- Birth is a normal process, not a ‘problem’ to be solved.
- You have the right to be an active participant in your own birth experience; that means being allowed to make informed choices about your practitioners, your birth setting, interventions (or lack thereof), attendees, etc.
- Husbands/boyfriends are as emotionally invested in their children’s births as laboring women are; they too need support in order to minimize anxiety and feel involved/engaged with the birth process to the extent that is mutually comfortable.
- Having a doula is the best way to ensure a satisfying birth experience, that is, one in which the laboring woman feels respected, in control and supported.
- I can and will help you to self-advocate before and during your labor and birth, but I cannot be your voice. Empowerment comes from having your own voice.
- I believe in evidence-based practice.
- My #1 goal is your satisfaction, confidence and comfort – I recognize that your birth is not my birth and that your choices may be different from my own. My pledge to each of my clients is that I will respect your choices and support you in making them. I will never judge you or make you doubt your instincts. I know that you are strong.
- Everyone has the right to the birth that they desire. Financial restraints should never keep someone from receiving the support that they desire during pregnancy and birth. This is why I provide my services with payment plans, and have discounts for single/teen moms, adoption, and military families.
My Completed Trainings